Thursday, February 3, 2011

I Am A DOer*

*DOer- (aka Creators of Busywork, aka Type A, aka BossyPants)

While "DOer" is a pretty generic term, it's an accurate description of my style. I prefer to be active and stay active. Too much down time leaves me irritable, bored, and depressed. Today, I read a few articles about DOers, as a result of a recent conversation. DOers are often credited with having the "Right Idea"- a very American attitude, of go-go-go, reach for the top, you can be anything. Great messages in theory, but when I think about my DOer-isms, it seems like there must be more to a well-rounded society.

"Reach for the stars!"

DOers are praised for achieving and putting thought into action, while many other personality types are put down, regarded as lazy or inconsequential. These include Thinker, Seeker, Watcher, Dreamer. These types of people don't act quickly enough, they don't strive for the most, and let the moments of opportunity slip by.

Thinkers, Seekers, Watchers and Dreamers are expected to envy the attitude of a DOer, but as a DOer, I find that I don't take enough time to enjoy the quiet moments, to reflect, or to question. I'd like to pay short tribute to my non-DOer friends and appreciate their talents and intellect.

Thinkers may be more careful, and reflective. They may find a better solution by taking time to explore more than one, impulsive option.

Seekers are question driven, and are the catalysts for answering big questions. Without seekers, we may be confined to our small world, without the passion to know more about the people and places beyond our immediate experiences.

Watchers can be intuitive. Watchers will take in the mannerisms, subtleties and subtext and provide astute observations that we DOers don't always take the time to notice.

Dreamers come up with new, thoughtful ideas. They can generate unique plans, think outside the box and give a creative boost.

As a DOer, I have a few of those traits. I'm intuitive, sometimes reflective, and often have stupid ideas "unique" proposals. And I'm sure many Dreamers, Watchers, Seekers or Thinkers have the drive to succeed, and the Get Up and Go as much as any DOer. I was just trying to do a little self-reflection and came up with a bunch of hate toward other styles. I don't want us to be in the habit of mistaking pensive for lazy or reinforce creativity as wasteful.

No comments:

Post a Comment