Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A-ha Moments

I find myself wondering how we choose careers. The strengths and weaknesses we pursue that guide us toward our specific roles in the work force. Are there moments you can point to that have guided you in your career choices?
Here are three of mine:

1. "It would be a waste if you didn't work with people"- A high school teacher told me that when I was 17, and it's stayed with me. It's helped me to recognize my strengths and to follow them.

circa 2003

2. "Scorsese red!"- One scene from the movie The Holiday tapped something in me. As a sophomore in college, I hadn't yet chosen a major. Cameron Diaz works on a movie trailer, and is fired up about the exact color of red to be used in the preview. I immediately thought "I want that job!", and proceeded to figure out how to get it. I knew then that I needed to use words and color, shapes and font, to share the right message with the people who need it. Her character's enthusiasm was exactly what I felt during creative opportunities and guided me toward the right degree- public relations.
circa 2009

3. "Do you love me?"- During my time with AmeriCorps in Memphis, one of the children in my classroom asked me this question. He came from a very challenging home. He was under-developed, acting out and it was obvious to me that he was not getting what he needed at home. The look in his eyes and his desperate need for my approval taught me that working for people.

circa 2010

So here I am. It's been the right place for a long time, but I wonder what my next "A-ha Moment" will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment