Thursday, July 14, 2011

Home Ownership, What?

What do you think of home ownership versus home rental? Owning home and property is part of The American Dream, but why exactly?

It's hard to imagine my life without home ownership in it's future. That's just something I always assumed would happen eventually. People make lots of statements about buying a home, good and bad, especially "in these times". Is it just a status symbol, or is there a legitimate reason we strive for this goal? I always think it offers a type of security- if you OWN the house and the property on which it lays*, it's a lot harder to be removed from it, and you have the freedom to operate how you please. As a renter, you're at the mercy of your landlord or rental company on what you're paying, if you're allowed to continue living there, how you can decorate, what improvements you're eligible to make.

*these lines are arbitrary anyway, so does that even matter? Who used to own the land? No One, that's who, and eventually No One will own it again. Is there a point to purchasing an arbitrary space with arbitrary "money"...the only reason any of it has value is because WE MADE IT UP. Someone pulled it all out of their butt.

Granted, most decent landlords will be open with their tenants and communicate their expectations. As one who has never purchased a home, I suppose I'm not a great judge of how lenders and home sellers communicate with buyers or lendees (Lendees? Is that a thing? You know what I mean.)

When you rent, you don't have to worry about fixing things that break. You don't have to pay the huge sum that is a down payment, or property taxes (which end up being a big deal, from what I understand).

When you buy, you're "stuck". You have to stay in that home for an extended period to make it worth your while, but isn't that part of being a stable, settled adult? I think so, and I know I am more productive and happy when I feel settled. When things don't feel Up in the Air. I like the permanence that Home Ownership seems to provide.

Plus, who enjoys moving all their stuff all the time anyway? That said, one can rent a place until the cows come home, can't they? If they're responsible and pay their rent on time and don't cause problems with the neighbors and keep the place in good shape. People in New York do it all the time, you know like Carrie and those ladies from that show. (Which of course I watched, but I'm feigning ignorance here, so that I can pretend I don't fully understand the option of life-time renting)

I read this article yesterday called Why I Am Never Going to Own A Home Again. Read it. This person has some good points, and I don't know the counterpoints, other than the ideal I've grown accustomed to in my own head.

Truly, if you have thoughts on this, please comment.

4 comments:

  1. I get what he is saying, but I think a lot of his opinion has to do with his personality and how he chooses to live his life. I'm actually excited to have the kitchen sink leak and having to climb on the roof to clean the gutters. I don't really want a landlord to do that. You blogged about Brad Paisley and his music, I think he sings/writes music about this kinda stuff (everyday life adventures) and I want that. Call me naive but I think it will be fun. For me renting, I'm not sure I'll feel like it is ever 100% my home. Asking permission to paint a wall is like asking your parents if you can go to the movies, not my style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! I feel the same. Well stated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love home ownership! There are hardships that come with it vs renting but again there are hardships that come with renting vs a house. I think honestly it completely depends on who you are as a person. If you like alot of change a house might not be the best option because you are in a way "stuck". My whole thing is that I didn't want to have to ask anyone's permission for anything...granted I like in a division with an HOA that set some general guidelines. Those not a big deal, being able to fix anything I want when it's broken whole different story. Maybe it's because I'm a bit of a control freak =/ too. I enjoy responsibility (yea yea sometimes it sucks) but it's a feel good responsibility. It's knowing that I can take care of myself if I have to, it's getting those experiences (good or bad) that come with a house and not a rental that I really enjoy. Plus in the long run a house usually ends up being more cost efficient. Maybe not right away but in the long run...

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are also good points to owning a home, when you buy it, you can sell it later and hopefully make money from it. Whereas when you're renting, you're just dumping money into something that you'll never see a return on. (I can't wait to have my own home and decorate it and add rooms and stuff!!)

    ReplyDelete