Friday, January 28, 2011

Music Appreciation: Grace Potter & the Nocturnals

By now, a lot of you have probably heard of Grace Potter, but I want to take a few minutes (or hours, depending on my work day...) to express my appreciation for her/their music. The first time I heard GPN was Fall 2009, and although I liked what I heard, I didn't pursue it much. In January 2010 my interest was re-piqued and in Summer 2010, I saw them 3 times in concert (Memphis, Baltimore, Columbus). Serious Rockstar Quality.


{current album cover- I have a signed copy, my 1st autograph!}

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals have been recognized by MTV and VH1 (Divas!), but many of my friends are still saying "Who?" and dismissing my urgent requests to LISTEN to the music. She clearly has an incredible voice, they've determined a group aesthetic that works, and they know how to put on a show. Their sound reminds me of Janis Joplin or Jefferson Airplane. They have self-identified with Tina Turner...

It's nearly impossible to narrow down to just a few songs you should test out, so click on these and please explore their website http://www.gracepotter.com/

Hot Summer Night: Makes you want to rock out in your car...fun and feel-good.

Nothing but the Water: One of my favorites, probably because it reminds me of my former life as a dancer (technical dancer, not naked dancer). Also, gives me goosebumps every time :)
My Toothbrush and My Table: A little more bluesy and less rockish. Breakup themed.


Rockin'
via

GO SEE THEM (Tour Dates)
Listen also GPN on World Cafe
Follow Grace on Twitter
Read this review from Popdose
Notes: Organ, Vermont, Singer/Songwriter, Local Economy

No comments:

Post a Comment