Tuesday, June 28, 2011

First World Problems

Last night, I experienced a tragedy. (P.S., it's not a real tragedy. That's why this post is called "first world problems".)

My sister, my mom and I were all happily trash-talking Ashley on the Bachelorette, when the local station, WSYX, rudely interrupted to give a full hour of tornado coverage. For a tornado that was happening a few hours away- they didn't even spare us the opportunity to watch the Rose Ceremony...

People who live in the areas that aren't Columbus, but get Columbus television needed to know that the should get to the basement. That they should observe the pink boxes on the screen and be fearful. The Weather People, however, over emphasized the coverage. Even my Pops, Self-Proclaimed Bachelorette Hater, said they should have made the bottom third of the screen a weather advisory, and continued with our programming. (He was probably just sick of hearing us whine.)

We were not the only angry ones. It seems that both men AND women of Columbus were placing hateful phone calls, and posting disappointed and threatening messages on the WSYX ABC 6 Facebook page. I got a kick out of that. ABC even promised to re-air the Bachelorette, and repeated "while this may not affect viewers in the Columbus area, this television station reaches other communities who are depending on this information" because of all the negative feedback they were getting. Ha.


3 comments:

  1. Wow...people really got that upset. How awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki- I know! We were just having fun being dramatic, but some of the stuff on the FB page was SO mean...you should scroll down to see all the swearing and all the people who promised never to watch ABC news EVER AGAIN. Pretty over-reactive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah ok so I almost commented on your facebook status when you wrote this because I think more than half my feed was people mad about the interuption! I understand you don't mess with my tv shows...

    ReplyDelete