Friday, January 14, 2011

Music Appreciation

As a Music Appreciator, I value all kinds of music. Stick it in my earballs, I'll give it a listen, and be able to tell you one or two reasons to listen to it again. Though I'm not great at seeking it out, I dig a bit of everything, and that's true. (I care least for punk* music, if you're curious).

Amanda Palmer is an artist that's taken a lot longer to appreciate than most others. After a 365+ days, I'm finally starting to understand her persona and sound (which I am unable to describe, a difficulty I have with all music). Below are two songs by Amanda Palmer. If you already have her on your iPod, great! You're awesome! You can make fun of me- I can handle your disdain (yeah, I'm talking to you, hipsterkids.)

If you've never heard her, follow these steps:

1. Listen: Runs in the Family and Leeds United
2. Find a video online (Jake showed me Statuesque)
3. Be forced to learn one thing about her life (This NPR Article is an easy place to start)
4. Repeat steps 1-3 monthly for 12 months
5. Grow to appreciate and enjoy

Also, she's well-spoken and funny. Major points from me on those.


*yes, I realize that Amanda Palmer/Dresden Dolls identify as Punk Cabaret. That's just one of those things...

{Dresden Dolls
Ukulele
Ukulele, Radiohead
Neil Gaiman,
Evelyn Evelyn
Who Killed Amanda Palmer?

No comments:

Post a Comment