Thursday, July 19, 2012

Reinforcing Loser Status

Last week I went on vacation with Mike and his family. It was lovely, breezy and sunny...but that's not the point. The point is that Mike's nieces were there. They bring out the 2nd grader in me. They bring out the girl-who-was-raised-with-two-younger-sisters in me. And the that part of me is a big, fat nerd.

Exhibit 1. The nieces are obsessed with stuffed animals. We were perusing a "souveneir" (aka total junk) store and they had...Beanie Babies! Niece K spotted one that she HAD TO HAVE. I made her listen to my story about how many Beanie Babies I had (have) "when I was your age..."

Exhibit 2. "OMG", said I, "I totally had [THESE EXACT ONES] and they were my favorites". Here's where I spiraled out of control. In reminiscing about my stuffed animals of old, I recalled what I had named them: Coda and Staccato. 


They already had names- Scottie and Flip. But my names were better, know why? Because coda means repeat and Coda never stopped barking! And Staccato is a great name for a cat because it means short and that's the sound I imagined a cat would make if it jumped on a piano.

Sometimes I'm so embarrassed for myself and my parents. I'm sure my dad thought "How did I get such a loser for a kid?" I really shouldn't even be telling this story. #selfhate.

I swear that I'm cooler now. At least by a little bit. I was just in a phase! My mom made me take piano lessons and be in choir and stuff! It was the mid to late 90s! Can't we just blame all of this on "the 90s"? I'm pretty sure that's a good excuse for a lot of things, such as Beavis and Butt-head, Pogs, Shawn Hunter's bad haircut and rat tails, butterfly clips and this music video: 



Happy Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment